Friday, October 22, 2010

Hectic travels does interesting things to one's short-term memory. Trying to recall too much about the last few days, where we've been, where we've stayed, makes us feel as though we're in the progressive stages of old age-ism. To the best of our recollection, we spent one night after Buffalo somewhere in the Adirondacks. I've heard about the Adirondack Mountains all my life, so I'm sure it was beautiful.


Let me see . . . oh yes! Leaving New York and entering Vermont required the services of a ferry to cross Lake Champlain. From our worthy vessel we could see the white peaks of the Green Mountains. Unforgettable.






Burlington: cool, trendy, hip. Seeing quickly that we couldn't fit in, we high-tailed it to more low-key Montpelier, the smallest state capital in the nation.


Montpelier is an incredible little town. After college, I (Dane) briefly considered moving there following my first visit. With a set of wheels and $800 in my pocket I was going to shake off my southern roots and embrace Vermont northernism. That didn't happen, but our recent visit there reminded me of what motivated the notion.





Vermont State House






Representatives Hall - fully restored to its original 1833 condition


Montpelier is a small town of fewer than 10,000 folks, but several days could be spent exploring its many bookstores, historic sites, walking trails, and surrounding countryside. We were able to do a little of that, as well as learn more about maple syrup production at a nearby sugar farm.

Many of our Montpelier experiences will settle there, dying before becoming eternal memories. But one thing I'll never forget . . . Montpelier gloriously boasts the absence of a W*l-Ma**, and is the only state capital where the globally ubiquitous golden arches of McDonald's cannot be seen!

3 comments:

  1. "Ubiquitous"....what a word....it means "widely present"...and of course if you had said that in the first place, I wouldn't have had to look it up. So I learned a new word. In fact, come to think of it, I consider myself quite ubiquitous!! Well, I was "ubiquitous-er" a few months ago before I lost that 30 pounds. Still have lots more to go and I won't be so ubiquitous!! Hope I'm putting a smile on your face..I'm grinning quite widely!!! I love reading about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following Aunt Trudy's form: "Dane"... what a word.... it means "dork". (W*l-Ma**) HAHAHAHA. I so wish I could be with you guys for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been there, I've been there! I'm so happy that we've walked the same sidewalks in Montpelier. Although we did like Burlington, too, (and would enjoy settling there), I can appreciate and even agree with your take on Montpelier. Gosh, I do love Vermont.

    Maybe, just maybe, you WILL move there, and we can be one happy Family together with Aislinn and Matthew!

    Also, I'm totally digging your pictures. I'd love a print of the picture in your last picture, the underside of the beautiful golden tree.

    I miss you, Forlines, and can't wait to catch up. So much has happened in the Paker/Bates household and the Hope of Jesus is real. Memphis misses you.

    ReplyDelete